ThunderGoddess
Veteran Member

Member Since Nov 2014
428 hugs
given
Default Dec 02, 2021 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downandlonely View Post
I remember having bad anxiety from a very young age. In first grade, my stomach would be in knots about things like lost pencils. The depression came around 12 when I moved to a new state and had to start middle school with a lot of cliquish kids who looked down on me because I was late to develop physically and also smarter than all of them.

I got diagnosed at 14 and have been on medication ever since (over 25 years). However, major depressive disorder is a chronic condition that can only be treated but not cured.

I do not consider myself average or neurotypical. I do believe I'm on the autism spectrum, but like you have not been diagnosed. I did well in school, and autism was not diagnosed much when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s. I don't have sensory issues and am an extrovert, but I have a very hard time reading non-verbal social cues.

Autism diagnoses in adulthood are not as common, but they are possible. I've been considering trying to get one, even though my psychiatrist doesn't think there's any point.
Thank you for sharing I think your situation goes along with my point that many mental health disorders are lifelong it's not temporary but it feels the world often sees us as temporarily "ill" because medication and therapy exist.

I also thought of trying to get a diagnosis of autism, but my therapist pretty much said the same thing. I probably won't be able to find someone who is willing to diagnose an adult. She has unofficially diagnosed me with autism but that doesn't do much to help my employment situation where I'm still just an overly sensitive degenerate.

Just keep swimming
I have BPD or Autism or both, we may never know, the focus is always the symptoms, not the diagnosis
ThunderGoddess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
downandlonely