Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 05, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinit View Post
See how you feel after your meeting with the job search company. If you're still feeling uneasy, you can cancel the interview then.

Some of these employers, I don't get it. Thousands of people have totally walked away from "employment" because of the lack of respect and the games employers play - especially with the interview process. Also, see how things develop with your current employer - after the new year.

My employer is just starting to wake up to the fact that we don't need them THAT bad. Yesterday, I got a raise and a speech about how valued I am and they're working to enhance my quality of life at work. Cool. Okay. Thank you. But I also know that they only do these things when it suits them and when they're desperate and losing people. As soon as the balance is tipped back in their favor, we'll be worked to death again. Right now, this situation works for me, I have good health insurance, I now have what I feel is a wage I deserve, I work from home, and it's all cool. I haven't felt abused here since I changed departments (this is a large, large corporation, so I can always run away to another department if necessary).

I know startups and smaller companies can work well too, but I've found the large companies are more willing to help you learn skills or strengthen skills that are on the weak side. For example, I am a very literal, structured person and I'm not a creative. I am now learning how to think "out of the box" to solve problems in a more creative way, and if I'm totally honest I needed to learn this. It's uncomfortable, but I also am getting a great deal of satisfaction from learning what I can come up with to solve a problem or make someone's bad experience happier.

So that was a long, exhausting read to tell you - keep exploring and do what works for YOU. If staying a while and working with this company on job searching works, do that. If staying and not looking for a while works, then do that. Make sure you're caring for yourself during this too. There have been times where I just had to disengage from the job at the end of the day and go for a walk after work or even just window shopping to relax and care for me.
Thank you so much for your supportive and encouraging words and advice. Much appreciated!

You're so right - I do need to also focus on self-care right now. I haven't been, and I've been sick with a cold on and off for weeks. And I need to find ways to ease my stress after work, though having my boss get fired certainly helped.

I am looking forward to this call with the job search company on Monday. I hope they decide I am a good fit for their mentorship program. Apparently, you can get matched with a mentor within your industry that works for a top tech company such as Google or Amazon. After 5-6 rejections and after 4 of them being in the final round, I am hanging my hat on needing some coaching.

And yeah, I will wait and see about this interview Tuesday... it's a tiny company of just 5 people!

It's amazing what's happening in your own company. I think employers do worry about a mass walk out right now, as that's what's happening in the world. You're lucky in that you can change departments if yours doesn't suit you. That is definitely a big bonus and advantage of working in a large company.

I worked last Feb for a HUGE company of 20,000 employees, and it did not work for me at all. I came from a tiny company of just 30 employees, and the large size was not something I was used to, nor the types of processes in place, all the technical applications I had to use for every little thing and all the meetings I had to attend. Far too many meetings!

The downside of smaller companies - I think they force you to have to learn everything on your own.

So, yes, I agree - I'm going to take care of myself and will see how things go on Monday and go from there.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3, Molinit

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Molinit