Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,800 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Unhappy Dec 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumGhost View Post
Nonightowl, this is so familiar to me. And tragic. I suspect my mother's unresponsiveness was also handed-down, and was a generational thing. I did hear on several occasions how cold, stern, and tightly-wound my maternal grandmother was.

The thing that saved us was the love that was shown by my paternal grandparents. And thank goodness for it!

I am reminded from time to time that there were also some pretty wacky child-rearing theories that were floated around in the forties, fifties, and early sixties. I did not know this until college, when I had to take Child Development courses. One of those theories stated something like, "children should never be the focus of attention", and that "they should never be complimented." That was eye-opening for me. And, of course, it was all wrong; bass-ackwards so to speak. But it might have been picked up as legitimate because "child experts" said it, and people ran with it. Who knows? That could have led to several more generations of confused and bewildered children, for sure.

I always felt so strange. There were a lot of secrets in our house. But I found out later that just about every family on our street had some kind of major dysfunction going on, somewhere, somehow, in their family. It made me sad, knowing that just about everyone I knew was experiencing (and desperate to hide the fact) the kind of loneliness and pain that comes with these experiences. But it DID tell me perhaps there were bigger forces at work than just my freaky, sad little family unit....which was a comfort, of a sort.

My own maternal grandmother might have been distant herself. Unfortunately my dad was just as emotionally unavailable, though he had moments of being just a tad better than my mom. Two emotionally distant people, what kind of a marriage was that I wonder now.

I didn't know about theories on child rearing, but I do know different generations have different methods and it gets passed down unless the cycle is stopped. I would have stopped it if I had kids. I've heard "kids should be seen and not heard" and "kids should not speak unless spoken to" and "spare the rod, spoil the child" but mostly in the movies. Still I see it was probably reality.

Spanking used to be considered okay, now it's considered abuse I believe.

I remember once my mom said that cause I'm not a little girl anymore I don't need to be hugged. Last and only time she hugged me I was about 8. As an adult I like to hug and be hugged. My parents never hugged or kissed me, or each other at least not in front of us kids. No "I love you", no terms of endearment. They were probably taught to just provide for your kids, that's enough. I know both parents came from poverty but I know little else. They did not share. Maybe they were taught that too, don't show your kids you are human.

And favor the first born.

Still I find comfort in this thread and forum, that it's a real thing.

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
downandlonely, Fuzzybear, MuseumGhost, RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto