SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Help Dec 13, 2021 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyTinks View Post
Something definitely going on here (with govt I mean!) First PM made a 5 min televised statement yesterday. Today the leader of the opposition party made a 5 min statement about the PM's statement and covid! (this has never happened before like this..just a 5min pre-recorded..no press)

Another one (MP) said they can't guarantee schools will go back after xmas..I think we're heading for another lockdown!

They seem to be trying to hold off until after xmas day so the country can have a better xmas but they've told people to work from home again and urging everyone to get boosted or get vaccinated (for those that haven't).

I'm still waiting for someone to contact me about mine, hope it will be this week!
@InkyTinks - Does PM = Prime Minister?

What is it like in your country when you have lockdowns? Do they bring you food/groceries, toilet paper, and other essentials? Can you shop online for contactless door deliveries or mail deliveries? Can you easily purchase good quality masks in case you need to go outside for something that you lawfully can go outside for?

I don't think the US will have any lockdowns. I think it's a "go out at your own risk" and "fend for yourself" country we live in now. No one cares; it's individualism at its worst. I only see the need for lockdowns when there are too many unvaccinated persons and too many cases and too many filled ICU rooms in any given area. Travel restrictions would help, but too many people complain that it won't. That's the only way Omicron had spread so quickly to the entire world, including the county where I live (we have one identified case here because many people, including my own T, travels). It drives me crazy how people still act as if we're not in a pandemic, and as if we can easily let people get sick and die without truly empathizing with the horrors that the elderly, disabled, and immunocompromised face.

I don't like lockdowns because I don't know how dangerous that could be for criminals who can take advantage during lockdowns, especially domestic and intimate partner violence situations. Childhood abuse and increases in foster care (children removed from their homes) have increased so much where I live that the news is stating there aren't enough social workers to fill that need, and there aren't enough foster parents willing to take any children in. It's sad. And we're not even in a lockdown era, and the schools remain open. I think there are particular rules about children showing up sick and symptomatic, where their parents don't care if their kids remain unmasked and spread the virus to others. They see it as "God's will" in some jurisdictions, and they also see it as their "right for freedom" in others. Lockdowns would only mean more superspreading events and violent outbreaks in our area because everyone is packing their rifles, semiautomatics, concealed weapons, and other firearms out here, and so many extremist groups claim that they are prepared to fight if they get any lockdowns or mask mandates. It's really awful out here with those kinds of threats.

But I think that lockdowns make sense to slow the spread, if there were adequate food and household supplies available, and if there were financial breaks on certain things like rent, utilities, and otherwise. I really feel for the parents who lack the support they need to watch their children 24/7 though. They are the most overwhelmed out of everyone else.

I'm all for lockdowns if it truly means that eradication of this virus is possible, but that would mean the entire would would need to lockdown at the exact same time - in real time, such that no one is traveling, no one is going out for non-essentials, bars and events are shut down, etc. If the incubation period is 2 weeks, and if the risk of spread continues for like about a month, then the world locking down for one month could mean eradicating this virus and perhaps others altogether, if and only if the animals are also contained as well.

But I don't see that happening at all, lest wars break out. And wars are already breaking out in certain countries.

It's just sad how this all panned out.
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
downandlonely

Thanks for this!
InkyTinks