Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,810 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Attention Dec 14, 2021 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WovenGalaxy View Post
When people ask the question "So what do you do?" That question needs to die already along with the box people feel the need to understand other people in.

I'm on a roll...
Yes it does need to die. It's a cultural thing, the way we define people by what they DO. And our culture looks down on people who are unemployed, even during these times.

Yet the media is showing the economy is "surging" because of all the Help Wanted signs and that unemployment claims are down. COVID CASES are surging, but it's misleading to say there are lots of jobs. They are not jobs just anybody can do. And counting claims is misleading too, as once you run out of benefits, you fall out of the system and don't get "counted" anymore.

So the rate looks lower than it is. Besides, not everybody even qualifies for unemployment. That "unemployment is down" is my biggest pet peeve.

In some cultures it's considered rude to ask people what they DO or how much money they make. We have euphemisms like "between jobs". WTF? Only "acceptable" cultural thing if not working or in school is to be retired.

I'm starting to feel more and more American culture is sick, and not just literally with all the COVID cases now. Over 800,000 deaths.

The check boxes on male or female; it's not that black and white now but it's changing now. I now see multiple choices for that. Same with race, as for a long time you could only check one box: White, Asian, etc. Then they had that dehumanizing "other" which I hardly see anymore.

I'm on a roll too.....

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
downandlonely, MuseumGhost, WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
MuseumGhost, poshgirl