View Single Post
DanaCole

Member Since Apr 2016
Default Dec 26, 2021 at 01:39 PM

Hello, been a long time since I've been here but I just had a couple of comments. As someone on both ends of the addiction issue, I think a lot of the healing can be more easily achieved by the perspective we allow. I see judgements towards those unfortunate enough to fall into addiction. I believe someone mentions " victims of people with addiction problems." If you view yourself as a victim of people, it's going to be hard to heal ,as there is going to be resentment. I prefer to think of myself as a survivor of the condition of addiction, both that I had it and that both parents did. I cannot imagine someone supporting someone through a terminal illness of another disease and calling themselves a "victim" of the disease of pick one, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimers etc and hold resentment towards the human who suffered with the condition. Of course that would effect the loved one, and they may hate the disease that robbed them of time with the person ( and yes addiction is another epidemic that takes lives ). There is still so much stigma attached to addiction and many of the non addicted who are related to them have lasting effects, sadly there are people who recover for many years and are still banished from the lives of others affected due to resentment . Yes there are social problems caused by the disease, but perhaps just perhaps if everyone knew just how hard it is to recover from , and how low the success rate is to recover , those who do should not have to continue to be treated cruelly and stigmatized and as if they have poor character. This stigma keeps people from seeking help, which exacerbates the problem and extends it for them and those around them. Perhaps a change in perspective, such as hate the disease not the sufferer would shorten the active phase for all involved and maybe then without stigma, they could help each other in their recovery from the disease. We know it can be a generational disease, it would likely be helpful if there was a generational group recovery. You ( hopefully ) wouldn't let someone go through cancer or Alzheimers alone, while being eternally ticked off with them. You need help too. Fight it together.
DanaCole is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3

Thanks for this!
Bill3