Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 27, 2021 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standup2me View Post
Checking in. I need a shoulder to cry on and some encouraging words.. In the past three months I have put on 33 pounds. That is 30% of my total body weight. I eat when I get depressed. I ate and ate and ate. Now I feel like a failure, like I have let myself down. When I walk I feel short of breath and I am having trouble with stairs. I can barely do two flights and I have three to get to work. I am ashamed of the way I look. It destroys my self confidence.
Any words of wisdom?
Weight gain definitely sucks, and it happens to almost all of us. Having to take certain bipolar medications (1), dealing with depression or other mood fluctuations (2), stress in life (3), and/or aging contributes and makes it a challenge to reverse. However, you can. Working on 1, 2, 3, and/or 4 assists, greatly. My advice is to sit down with a pen and paper (or on the computer) and write a short (short) list of things in each relevant category that could help. Then, take action! Do something. You'll thank yourself. Yea, it may be hard. Yea, you may stumble in the midst of efforts, but make efforts.

There's a simple thing I've learned to do when I'm a victim of inaction. I acknowledge the inaction, acknowledge what I need to do, then count to 10 and immediately at ten, jump to it, as if the morning alarm started screaming loudly and the only way to shut it off would be to get up and go.

"Stand up to yourself" and say "I can chip away at this!" Patient persistence.

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Nammu, Sunflower123