View Single Post
SlumberKitty
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 27, 2021 at 03:19 PM

It's admirable that you want to help your friend. Side effects of meds can be terrible. Plus sometimes when people feel better then they think they don't need their meds anymore which can complicate matters.

I am schizoaffective and I am pretty much med complaint (I sometimes forget a day here or there but mostly I am on top of it) and even then managing the illness and the meds can be a bit of a nightmare and I'm high functioning. I can't imagine what it is like for someone who is more debilitated by the disease than I am.

I think it's good to set boundaries for yourself so that you can be protected from some of the paranoia, etc, as it seems to also maybe have a detrimental effect on you? You can only really be there for someone when you take good care of you.

I think it is important to not give into the delusions though because that can make them fuel for more. When someone I trusts tells me it is a delusion then I am more likely to see it as a delusion but if that person is trying to placate me and goes along with it, then I am scared that it is real and I get more delusional or paranoid. That is just my experience though so your mileage may vary.

Also maybe there is a PHP or IOP program your friend can attend? I was able to do an IOP program which means intensive outpatient program through my insurance at no cost to me. I can also do a PHP (partial hospitalization program) for no cost but I do have pretty good insurance which I pay through the nose for. They might be able to teach your friend some skills in dealing with the illness.

I have never been on injectables so I can't speak to them but if your friend is not med compliant that seems like a good way to go but still body integrity is important even to people who are mentally ill so be prepared to hear that she doesn't want to do that. I can understand because it means not having control over yourself. But in an IOP or PHP they might have tools to help her see that she needs to be on meds consistently.

Try to take good care of you!

HUGS Kit

Thanks for this!
WastingAsparagus