SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Lightbulb Dec 31, 2021 at 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I don't know if this counts as either derealization or depersonalization. But I have episodes where I feel like my consciousness is withdrawing, imploding, or perhaps collapsing in on itself... becoming hyper-focused on my own consciousness to the exclusion of everything and everyone else around me. It's sort-of like experiencing a mental black hole where my consciousness is being pulled down into itself while whatever, or whoever, happens to be around me sort-of forms an event horizon... it's there... but at a "safe" distance, if that makes any sense. It's an odd experience.

I haven't had much of this recently, at least not at as intense a level as it sometimes has been. But it was only a few months ago when it was occurring pretty-much daily. And, when it does occur, it tends to be around the dinner hour. So I began to think of it as, perhaps, a type of what is sometimes referred to as Sundown Syndrome. Actually though, as I think back, I can recall 1 or 2 times, decades ago when I was in college, when I had this type of experience as well. So I presume it has / had something to do with anxiety. Nowadays, when it does occur, I don't really do anything in particular to address it. Since it's an experience I'm familiar with I simply let it be and wait for it to subside, which it does.
Only a trained professional can answer that, but what you described makes sense to me. It sounds like dissociation. But what kind is the question.

It also sounds like introspection, too. You are very self-aware!
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Princess Zelda, Skeezyks, stahrgeyzer

Thanks for this!
Skeezyks