Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 04, 2022 at 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyTinks View Post
I know I have an 'autistic problem' because I've been diagnosed with it!

Is it still normal to live in fantasy in your 50's I wonder? and to be unable to tell whether you created the people in your head or they're there for some other reason???

Ironically as a child I was told by parents I did NOT play imaginatively as a young toddler, it was something I learned when I was older when my younger sibling reached that stage and I asked my mother what he was doing!!

My emotional development has always been several years behind all my life. I mean I'm in my 50's..still hate physical contact, have never been able to cope with an intimate relationship, never had or wanted kids or to get married, still love playing on games consoles and colouring in - which seems to trigger an 'even younger me'.

An although I had 'social masks' when younger to cope with the pressure of being made to go to college or work etc ..when alone my autistic behaviours had to be released after being suppressed all day to 'fit in with normal'

Dr Judy Eaton from the PDA Society says

"there is very little research into how the PDA profile develops as people reach adulthood but the PDA Society has been pulling together the studies on PDA in adults which have been published and the lived experiences of those who have shared their story"

She said that "many adults have come across PDA when searching for an explanation for their own difficulties or have recognised the features of PDA in themselves whilst going through the diagnostic process with their children. Unfortunately some have suffered from significant mental health difficulties and have been misunderstood or misdiagnosed with a Personality Disorder. Some, like James in the case study mentioned, have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act"
UNQUOTE

Adults: PDA & mental health | PDA Society Resources

I also found this where it briefly mentions the person (with autism/PDA profile) being "in a state of dissociation for many years".

S1 Ep3. Emotional Regulation. Autism, Pathological Demand Avoidance and Dissociation | Listen Notes

It seems to be some kind of auditory podcast rather than a written report and I can't access it. I doubt I'd be able to follow it with my auditory processing issues.

It is about Emotional Regulation, Autism, PDA and Dissociation.

I may try asking if they have a transcript. I don't know if they will have though.

I agree with RoxanneToto and SprinkL that it is possible to have both. I do have PTSD due to bullying, past medical treatments, 'old-fashioned discipline' and just coping with life as an autistic person!

I have had a 'mental breakdown' many years ago and several other neuro and health issues from which I never fully recovered.

Add in the emotional turmoil of going through the menopause and years of isolation and there's definitely a recipe for some serious issues in there somewhere!

I haven't been out to any public places for nearly two years since the pandemic started including any medical appointments in case someone breathed on me and I came home with covid!
your question you are diagnosed with autism and asking is it still normal for you to live in fantasy --- I cant answer specifically related to you, I can only answer in general. yes if you google and do research you will find that with some with autism it is normal behavior for a person with autism to live in a fantasy, in their minds. there are some really great autobiographies out there on amazon you can read that can explain this to you or talk with your treatment providers. they can tell you the differences between autism and dissociation.

if you look up the actual diagnostic criteria for dissociative disorders and actual diagnostic criteria for autistic disorders you will find that in order for a problem to be diagnosed as a dissociative disorder fantasy has to be ruled out.

Again, specific to your own situation you will need to contact your treatment providers who will explain it all to you in terms of your specific problems.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote