View Single Post
SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Default Jan 05, 2022 at 04:01 PM

@delightful - I was just discussing with my therapist yesterday about how my past traumas affect my abilities to connect well with men, the opposite sex to me (a cisgender female). But then there are also societal factors, such as women being ignored, treated as less-than, dealing with ongoing historical traumas (rape culture, discrimination, put-downs, chauvinism, gender-role expectations), and being lied to. It's hard when our kindness or our hormonal composition are seen as weaknesses, as opposed to just who we are as relational beings. Some women can be physically tough, as evidenced by many women in what society would typically consider male-dominant fields (police, military, firefighting, etc.). If you've had a traumatic past, my T says that it's challenging for us to deal with trauma triggers in the form of the people who remind us of our past abusers or perpetrators. The problem is when there are systemic issues at play, such as what you've eluded (or is it alluded?) to. It's understandable that you would see your reaction as "screaming," when it could be any reaction from any human of any gender or nonbinary stance who would feel the same way if their concerns were ignored - esp. safety concerns, such as the sewer being so close to the water.

I'm so sorry you are struggling with all this.

I hope you are able to find ways to feel safer and at peace. Perhaps there might be a solution such as installing a better barrier between the sewer and water pipes, if that's even allowed. I don't know anything about plumbing though.

But there are scientists out there who have stated that even standardized tests for spatial intelligence and otherwise are biased because females are typically not socialized in our families and in schools to be exposed to spatial-building skills. The toys that build such skills are made for boys, for instance. The emphasis on teaching and rewarding certain spatial intelligence, such as that with geometry, engineering, etc., to boys and males, as opposed to females and women or those who are nonbinary and considered "feminine." It's sad that we grow up socialized to be oblivious about plumbing, blueprints, architecture, and other things (like buying cars) that used to require men to assist women with making those decisions, often by silencing us and having a man speak in place of us - even on things like customer service issues. Those times may be long gone, but are they when the very people who are still in those fields treat women as if we're stupid or something.

It irks me that this still continues.

EDIT: The above expressed, I also have met some really kind men who do treat women as equals. I still struggle with my past traumas, but I now know how to differentiate my feelings and fears, for the most part. My T helps me understand why I struggle with those things, and why I'm emotionally in pain at different times. -Perhaps you can relate.

I hope you feel better.

Last edited by SprinkL3; Jan 05, 2022 at 04:20 PM..
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
downandlonely