View Single Post
InkyTinks

Member Since Aug 2021
32 hugs
given
Default Jan 09, 2022 at 08:54 AM

I changed my name many years ago as a teenager I was a bit of a tomboy at that time (my birth name was quite 'female only' kind of name and also due to speech difficulties I really struggled to get my birth name out. I changed my name at around age 18-19 whilst away at college via a local solicitor. This was done in the 80's so it was relatively easy. At that age I only had one savings account so just withdrew everything and put it in a new account at a different bank once I got the paperwork.

Showed college a copy so my certificates would be in my new name and just waited until it was sorted and had evidence from other places before applying for a driving license. Once all my college certificates and (provisional) driving license showed my new name and a bank account in that name it was easy.

I'm in my 50's so all my work history/benefits are in my 'new name'. I just had to write to the hospital regarding my old medical records.

Myparents didnt want to call me by the new name and refused..I did hypenate my name to make it easier for them so they could continue to call me a shortened version of my name (as they had when I was young anyway) and just new college friends etc I told them to call me 'preferred nickname' for short.

Parents never called me by 'new name' but they did die when I was much younger. Sibling is significantly younger than me so actually remembers me as 'new name' more than 'original name'

Strangely once I hit the menopause I went through a stage of wanting to go back to my original name as it made me feel closer to my parents. I think the death of my dog at the time made me realise I never properly grieved for my parents (didn't understand what death was when my mum died due to being autistic) and had to go through that process all over again.

I think because I hypenated my name in my mind then each name represented a different personality or very different 'side of me' ..(as did my middle name). I never liked it when someone who knew me as 'x 'meeting someone who knew me as 'y'.

It's taken many years to feel like all my names are me!
InkyTinks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Discombobulated, SprinkL3, unaluna