View Single Post
Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 17, 2022 at 01:47 AM

Hello thread. Cough still lingering so I canceled plans to play bridge today to keep up my recovery and to just avoid any awkward moments where I would have to try to debate science I barely can recall about the duration, severity, etc. of COVID.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at a new goals challenge and I don't even have the language yet to search for studies. So, if you have a site or study to share, please help me.

Context: 7 years ago, way back in 2015, I spent my summer and fall doing my solo best to help educate my City Council on the benefits of stepping up and managing rents. This was one of my vague fantasies of when I get beyond 'work' I'd be just the mosquito in a tent on some important change.

I was 'tween work and saw a chance to be of service.

Well, the Council did vote out a Resolution to ask the state to repeal the law that limited it's ability to adjust rent increases across the city. Twice: 4-3 in committee, and 8-1 in the full Council. Big Win.

Now the Governor wants to address housing, and to win that he needs to get the Legislature to go along. Hence, laws will be in play around this very issue. I see that, so do I want to get back in, and if so how?

Here's the thing, From 2017 and still ongoing, I've helped a client face up to the Mayor and secure a property transfer. This is my legacy.

At the pure motive level it's a huge win for me: I set out to make a change and I have.

Can I let go of the original motive around rents?

I'm divided. I know things and hold a perspective that few others in the public sphere share. Yet, I won big on something like it. As an activist, I've serve and served and served. I'm up to get super busy on condo stuff, and I'm exhausted from the endless spirals of dialectics which is politics.

Yet, nudging this will help millions of people live more stable and secure lives. And it'll definitely inject a dose of fairness into the cruel steamroller called capitalism.

Yet if I were too ill or dead ....

Oy vey, R.

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote