Wise Elder

Member Since Nov 2013
6,451 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 17, 2022 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricManatee View Post
At the core of her statement is care and concern for you, which might be a good thing to try to hold onto. That said, she could very well be wrong. Sometimes my T isn't able to immediately recognize the ways I have grown and she worries I'll react strongly to something when I have developed the ability to hear certain things with more equanimity. When she makes false assumptions like that, I tell her how I feel and she usually has the good sense to listen and incorporate that going forward. I think this is likely how things will go when you get the chance to talk about it in session. You can work through it with her.

I would also encourage you to think about how you're doing and maybe slow down a little if this current bit of therapy work is stressing you out a lot or putting a strain on how you feel about L and the therapeutic relationship. You can go whatever pace you need to in order to stay stable and connected. That regulation (or even asking L to help with that regulation) can be part of good self care.
Yes. When emailing L my feelings last night, I realized that I need to do what I'm asking her to do. I need to hold onto her core-self and to our history. She did write that out of care and concern; not meanness or malice. She's looking out for me and trying to protect me. While I disagree with her and her words hurt, her intentions were good.

You're also right: I might be taking things to quickly. I had a lot of good energy to put into this, but after yesterday's comment and my energy being redirected, maybe it's time to slow down the revealing of sensitive and tender information and start processing all that's been said. Processing will help me go at a better speed for both me and her I think.

Hugs from:
ElectricManatee, LonesomeTonight, RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
ElectricManatee, LonesomeTonight, RoxanneToto