Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,040 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 20, 2022 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulOscuro View Post
Now, we are at a different point in the pandemia. It became in development countries pretty much as a flu. This is a fact.

Restrictions now are futile and I would even say they are insulting for people who like me had behaved as responsible citizens. And still we have been responsible citizens up to what common sense says to us. No more.
@sarahsweets - I have to agree with @AzulOscuro. I think you live in the US, Sarah? The restrictions there were very light compared to those in my country and @AzulOscuro's. In my case with the lockdowns you had to get a permit to just leave your house and could only go out twice a week for two hours. We had military guys with guns checking for permits. I am not even sure how much good those strict controls really did, and a certain percentage of the population ignored them. There is very little support for going back to strict controls I don't think they should.

The main group pushing for increasing restrictions now is the medical college who are saying new lockdowns should be considered. They are essentially a political lobby group and union, not a medical advice organization. Last year, they proposed a draconian plan that was almost as bad as China that was supposedly going to get us to Covid zero. The government decided not to take their advice.

Thanks to Americans coming in and not enough controls on tourist arrivals, Omicron is here and contributing to a spike in cases. If the government increased controls, that should have been the focus. Last year we ended up locked back down after tourists brought in the Manaus variant. I don't people think people are going to want to pay the price for tourists bringing in a new variant again with another lockdown.

Anyways, like AzulOscuro's country, my country have one of the highest vaccination rates in the world. We are also one of the most boosted. What was the point of getting vaccinated and boosted, if they are going to lock us down again? Cases are as high as the peak in 2021, BUT hospitalizations are way down. I don't know if case counts are the number we should be focusing on when most are now asymptomatic or mild. Last year at the peak, we had 4,000 people hospitalized with Covid. Now it is fewer than 500 and most are not vaccinated. Deaths are down from several hundred a day at that time to low single or double digits. Yesterday there were 4 deaths reported.

I guess the US hospital situation may be different because fewer people are vaccinated/boosted. But, here I don't see how they could justify locking us down again.

Hugs from:
Discombobulated

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2