View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 21, 2022 at 09:48 AM

I found a most interesting journal article at NON-NEUROGENIC LANGUAGE DISORDERS: A Preliminary Classification that may interest some people here.

Has anyone else ever noted (or had others note) any speech or writing irregularities during bipolar episodes? These may include the typical rapid speech of hypomania/mania, but also other notable differences from stable mood communication patterns. And some possibly occurring during depression or high anxiety periods. The article noted provides several examples within its Table 2: Glossary of Pertinent Speech and Language Terms. Bipolar disorder was specifically referenced a few times in the article.

My interest in non-neurogenic language disorders/disturbances has existed for a while, as I've experienced several when hypomanic, manic, and mixed (most often), as well as in panicked states. Rapid speech and increased voice volume? Absolutely, but also:
  • Atypical grammar errors of various types
  • Periods of stuttering
  • Clanging - sometimes
  • Repetition of words/phrases and even portions of stories and statements
  • Eliminated words in speech
  • Forgotten words
  • Mistaken uses of words
  • Oral and written rhyming and rhythm tendencies in communication
  • Unusual intonation/stress or even sing song style in speaking
  • Vocal outbursts of strange sounds, song, or out of nowhere words/phrases
The above does not include other communication issues related specifically to disinhibition/impulsivity.

With severe depression, my communication had at times been affected by cognitive deficits in various ways. Memory recall issues, blankness of mind, etc.

Does anyone else relate to any of the above? Or experienced other non-neurogenic language disturbances during episodes?

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
HALLIEBETH87

Thanks for this!
Hexagon, RoxanneToto, Yaowen