Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 22, 2022 at 02:04 AM

Polylectic & Sololectic

Somewhere in Antifragile Nassim Taleb says we have just half the words we need if we want to fully express experience. Some days I think its less than 1%.

Starting with the word dialectic, which evokes 2 voices getting exercised, I created polylectic, for many voices, and sololectic, for one voice.

From taking parting in a Liberating Structures "Cull of the Wild" workshop Thursday trickled down from about 20 scattered wild things to the last exercise and surprised myself with landing on isolation as something to cull by connecting more emotionally and spiritually with my friends. What didn't make the final cut was Polylectic, yet I know to find time for this connecting I would want to NOT engage in polylectic activities for the time being.

Culling Poly leaves me Solo. I could write. I could write about only stuff that interests me in essays, short pieces, reviews, whatever. I could write about my way of connecting, which is not my invention but needs people like me to cheerlead for it.

Writing Solo I might accidentally persuade someone. Or not. I may never know. Nor should I care a great deal. Or they might answer me, or try to argue (that Dia Thing) for which I paraphrase Neal Stephenson: I can preserve my mental and physical health by focusing on my Solo voice and inviting you to attempt the same, but let's not try to dialogue or correspond. And since I lack the interest and time to blast myself across social media, if random people now or later find meaning in what I say, it can't be helped. Thanks Emily Dickinson for saying "if I'm to be famous it can't be helped" while stashing away your great poems.

Is this settled now? I'll have to see.

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote