View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,806 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 22, 2022 at 03:29 PM

I’ve been hanging back to see if a post of a less rosy view of opportunities for seniors appears. Nope….Alas, here I go with my take.[emoji51]

Being able and willing isn’t enough. And the types of jobs available are often too physically demanding or with a volatile schedule, like fast food or retail. Slim pickings these days, now with Covid. Some people can’t stand or walk for hours. Or work till midnight then show up at 8am the next morning.

Employers are demanding and pay is low with little or no benefits. I’m sure senior friendly employers exist but it’s like finding a needle in a haystack.

The US is a youth oriented culture or youth worshiping. How many times do we hear how we can look younger, dress younger, feel younger? Cover that gray? There’s denial about aging in this culture.

Not everyone is tech savvy. Or has the necessary equipment and high speed internet to work online. It’s a Catch 22, you can’t do it without the tech, and can’t afford it without a job. You also need a quiet home, not a crappy apartment with thin walls.

And you can’t afford to move and don’t know where to go anyway that’s affordable. Upscale buildings are going up along with the number of tents.

And here just being unemployed is a barrier, you get stigmatized.

It also depends on where you live.

There’s programs for unemployed seniors here but the waiting list is long. And because of Covid as usual, there’s no participating companies. These would be in person or on site jobs, where they are willing to train. So few places train like in the old days. They want you to have the experience already.

When the weather is mild enough there’s tents outside the senior center of all places. I’ve seen people who look near my age on the streets. I’m sure not all homeless people are mentally ill or addicts.

They may be down on their luck, with no friends or family to help. And our safety nets were inadequate even before Covid. It’s hard to qualify for help and even harder to apply.

Social security may be too measly to live off of, though it’s not meant to be the sole source of income. So seniors have to work but can’t do just any kind of work. And it’s not being lazy, it’s being realistic about one’s limitations even if not officially “disabled”.

So easier said than done.[emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady