Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 26, 2022 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxanneToto View Post
Hmm, this I admit is purely speculative, but my adoptive dad was bipolar. Not sure if type 1 or 2, but he collapsed one night several years ago and had a seizure, got taken to hospital and was talking really strangely to my mum on the phone from there the next day, before we picked him up. I can’t remember exactly, but I think that was just before the only really obvious hypomanic episode I witnessed, which led to him being sectioned for a few weeks.
I didn’t actually know he was bipolar until after he died - it wasn’t discussed, but I knew there was *something* going on with him.
I’m not bipolar myself, but reading these posts is still helpful for me, to help make sense of things that have happened.
Thanks for sharing this story, @RoxanneToto. I can certainly believe this happening. Such stories are not very common, but far from unheard of. It's a strange mysterious connection that I think has perplexed many psychiatrists. I had three that suspected a connection between my bipolar disorder and Simple Partial seizures. I've got to admit that though my bipolar disorder type 1 is a certainty, the seizure dx remains "not definitive". These symptoms I experienced were not constants in my bipolar disorder, though. I've long since had many bipolar episodes without "odd" additional symptoms, or at least none as notable as during an approximately three year period in my mid to late 30s. Since an anticonvulsant moodstabilizer (carbamazepine ER) seemed to end or ease that period, we moved on from it. Actually, I did mostly. My old psychiatrist was disappointed that I refused further testing for it. They wanted me to stay in the hospital for a 6-day EEG, removing most of my medications. My husband and I decided to refuse.

I'm sorry about the loss of your adoptive dad. I lost my mom prematurely, too.

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto