View Single Post
divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,280 hugs
given
Default Feb 02, 2022 at 05:04 AM

Agree about nuances of the language and other important aspects. It certainly can be tricky. It’s more than just speak the language

One assignment I had was for law enforcement and FBI, not at liberty to say what it was in detail because I signed a confidentiality document, but in general terms so much of the language I had to translate was in slang and urban dictionary kind of thing (they say one thing but it’s not really what they mean). Part of it was also understanding the culture, not just knowing the language. It was probably the most exciting task I ever had and it was many hours of work so the pay was good.

Then one other long standing assignment was working for a large hospital, mostly specific departments (one was cardiology). That one I was given some medical brochures and articles to go over some terminology first. Those assignments were direct translation. Twice I was present in operation room during heart bypass procedure/surgery (patients were under local anesthesia not full otherwise they’d be nothing to translate lol). That was exciting to say the least. Then there was court room assignment but don’t recall details now

I’d say go for it. Clearly I am still talking about these jobs and I hadn’t done it for years.

It left lasting impression I think mainly because I did things I don’t normally do on a daily basis. Like my job has nothing to do with medical field or court or law enforcement but I got to experience those different fields with my short and sporadic translator experiences.

I now think that when I retire, I might want to do this again. Thanks to this thread I started thinking about it again!

Woven galaxy go for it!!! It could be very rewarding
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
WovenGalaxy