Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,810 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 05, 2022 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelinglady View Post
(Owl, I've written two books and am now working on my third. They're all murder mysteries. I'd like to write a science-fiction book someday and have an idea for one.)

I heard on NPR the other day that companies don't like to hire older people, because they usually have to pay them more. There's a history of companies offering big incentive packages for senior citizens or even workers in their fifties to retire earlier, so the company can hire younger people at lower wages. I'm talking about big companies, not something like a fast food place,

I like NPR and used to listen to it until they kept talking about Covid again. And all the inequality in this country which Covid exacerbated.[emoji22]

Yeah I heard about older workers cost more money. That’s a myth that’s been around forever. They think older workers won’t settle for less money than they got before or they are afraid the workers will jump ship as soon as something better comes along.

Well younger people do it too! Who doesn’t want greener pastures? But depending on where you are in life, you might gladly work for minimum wage and stick around awhile too.

Unfortunately it’s not up to the employee as to how long one stays. The employer has the upper hand and if they want to show you the door they will.

Employers are so unrealistic and demanding. They want you to be the Energizer Bunny while knowing you can be let go at anytime. And for little pay and few, if any,benefits…..They don’t care if they’re putting you on the street. It’s about profit,though even non-profits will treat people that way.

Labor laws are weak, employees have little protection. I’ve been thinking of how so much stuff in our system favors the employer or landlords. 30 days to vacate an apartment? Or a 30 day notice for a rent increase? WTF?[emoji35]

So…what’s your idea of a science fiction book? Invasion of the Body Snatches?[emoji16]

What are your mysteries about? Murder?[emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady