View Single Post
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 08, 2022 at 01:34 PM

Wow, 3 weeks weeks on the job & 8 of the 9 mares foaling have come while I am there.

I had never witnessed an actual foaling before though I did some breeding while in Calif. So the mares have definitely initiated me. I can now catch them almost before actual water breaks & delivery starts by watching their behaviors & tails. What an amazing experience & the people who do the deliveries are so wonderful to work with & so are the horses.

Getting the foals up to nurse can sometimes be a challenge that someone with more muscle can do better but last night's foal was small enough & strong enough, we did fine through the night. Only had to help get him up when he got in a tight spot in the stall & the straw was too slippery. Guided him onto mom a few times so he could get the colostrum from both sides. What an amazing job....one I never would have imagined was in my future when I was doing computer engineering. Finally my real passion.

Had one mare get mad at me the other night when I was giving her oral meds. Being short, getting their heads high enough to not spit it out is a challenge. Took a couple of tries & she had enough. Next night she pinned her ears when I walked up to her stall to check on her & her colt. Lol....Had the other tall night watch guy give her meds last night. (Made me really realize what a sweet mare my Izzy really was). Dream job, beautiful mares & adorable foals, great people to work with & nice to know they are glad to have me working there too.

I am taking so many photos while on night watch. Lol....we have one poor overdue mare who looks like she swallowed one of those huge exercise balls. Poor girl is really uncomfortable. Our longest overdue mare was due 1/25. I keep extra eyes on her too.

Lol....I was always a night owl, no better way to spend my night than with these mares & foals

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Nammu, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Nammu, unaluna