View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,810 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 09, 2022 at 12:10 PM

Trav, I wanted to allude to what you said earlier about big companies offering incentives for older worker to retire. In the 90’s I worked in the benefits department at a big company. They closed a bunch of subsidiaries and offered early retirement to those 55 and up.

I was too young to wonder why they are encouraged to retire and not keep working. NOW I get it. Even younger got offers of lump sums and most of them chose to cash it out taking a tax hit, rather than saving it for retirement.

I’m hindsight I think they needed it to live off of. Unemployment doesn’t cover enough.

I’m reading a collection of short stories by Shirley Jackson. One of them is called My Life with RH Macy. It’s about a woman who worked for Macy’s for two days and quit. She was just one of thousands in that company and knew she wouldn’t be missed. They identified employees by number, not name. They probably never knew her face or voice.

The story is more relevant than ever. It was about being another faceless number among many others.

Sadly not all states have free training and if so, one must qualify and that can be tricky.

Thankfully here on Gallifrey we don’t worry about such things.[emoji6] We try not to meddle in human affairs especially in politics.[emoji3]

There’s a Suburu commercial I despise. They claim to treat both employees and customers with “love and respect”. Right [emoji19]….I’d only believe it if I see it. Or experience it !!And since I hate the commercial I don’t even want to buy anything from them. They expect us to believe a big company has a soul and will treat people with respect? Especially employees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady