Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Hope View Post
Ok, I’m freaking out now. I was tasked with something I was never taught properly how to do. I’m asking for help from former colleagues so that I have guidance and a template to follow, but what if my company figures out that I really don’t know as much as they may think?!? A friend tells me to “fake it til you make it.” Ugh - I’m so scared.
If you don’t know how to do something, try to learn by looking for resources. If it’s not possible, then fess up that you don’t know that part because you were never taught that and need some assistance or at the very least need more time to figure it out. No crime in not knowing something. Unless it’s integral part of the position. Like being hired to be a semi driver and not knowing how to drive it. Otherwise no one knows everything

I don’t see how and why you’d be faking something that you getting paid for. How could you even fake it? I don’t understand your friend. It’s a sure way to get fired when they find out you don’t know it but not being honest about it. Nothing good comes out of faking it.

Why would they think you know more than you actually do? Why would they be assuming?

I think you can learn it. Good idea asking people to give you some guidance
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Have Hope