catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 28, 2022 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever2013 View Post
I'm stunned that those of you in the US can just decide to go IP. Here in Canada where we have a poorly managed public health care system SOMEONE ELSE has to drag you in against your will frothing at the mouth before they will take you. They wouldn't take me even when
Possible trigger:

Rotten day, but yesterday was so good, they can't all be winners. Got turned-off by the people in my ZOOM drop-in and quit halfway thru which i shouldn't be doing when i'm struggling against boredom.

But got my dog out to enjoy the warm Winter sun despite the chilly air. She's behaving normally today so i guess the concern about diabetes yesterday was just a scare, or something that comes and goes. She had a stomach upset a few days ago and didn't eat or drink for one whole day so she was probably rehydrating at last from that spell.

COVID restrictions are further loosened tomorrow and there's talk of the mask mandate being lifted earlier than the scheduled end of the month! The masks are a particular ordeal for me as i breathe heavy due to being fat and unfit and also have a chronically runny nose that runs in the family. My poor nephew's nose is running in his childhood school picture, preserved for all time. Ack!

But the COVID news: good things happening!

IP isn't as available for all of us as it is for some. I'm amazed at how many Americans can choose to go IP. For example, I live in a town with 1 (regular) hospital that has a whole 6 beds for psych patients. Those beds are always full, and the ward is just 1 short hallway big.

What happens if I go into the ER with a psych emergency is that they'll hold me for 24 hours in a tiny room with a bed that almost fills it, no window, no TV. It's a cell. I would have to request a guard to walk me to the bathroom. Then IF the psychiatrist (who at this particular hospital is a really bitter, vindictive man) decides to keep me IP I have to be driven by ambulance for anything from 90 minutes to 3 hours to an IP hospital that has a bed. Most likely, I'd end up in some town or city I'm not very familiar with.

Needless to say, I am far from likely to go IP. The situation is the same everywhere in this state...a drastic bed shortage - unless a patient can pay out of pocket at an upscale facility. LAck of access to psychiatric care, and especially to IP facilities is the major reason for the massive number of homeless people on our streets.

Anyway. I'm glad your doggie is doing better today. I understand your fear about diabetes, but I believe that if he had it there would be no doubt. The major symptom is ravenous hunger...my cat was so hungry prior to her diagnosis that she would grab lettuce from a salad. It was beyond strange.

Our mask mandate, thank heavens, was lifted a couple of weeks ago. I'm still very cautious with hand washing and distancing when possible, but it is a monumental relief to be able to go to the grocery store and be able to breathe freely!

Hugs from:
Anonymous 42424, Anonymous41462, bizi, Nammu, Pinny, Soupe du jour, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
bizi, Soupe du jour, ~Christina