View Single Post
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 04, 2022 at 07:46 PM

Wow, so many foals born since I last posted here. We had one that ended up having a c-section because the foal was basically stuck. Another one that was stuck also but lost that foal after hauling her to the vet hospital. We have had awesome foals born. One also had issues with its legs & they have amazing braces that are made especially for foals legs to correct difficult leg issues. So far we only have 13 mares left to foal between now & May. All the pregnant mares are now in the foaling barn along with 4 of the mares with foals. So I still get to have fun with the babies & get to know the rest of the mares.

My favorite mare who pins her ears back at everyone had her baby last week. She is very protective of her baby & we have had several conversations about not biting or kicking at me or blocking me from getting her feed bucket out of the stall when she is finished eating. She had the most handsome colt. The foal born last night gave me a chance to learn a little about "dummy foals". She was not as bad as some but required oxygen & vet care with antibiotics & IV vitamins & a DMSO mixture along with tubing its first pint of colostrum. What a learning experience that was but with that care, the foal was up & nursing on it's own (better than some of the others). Filly's seem to get the hang of nursing quicker than colts.

The foals are at such a fun stage. They interface with me every time I go into their stalls & love to chew on my jacket or sweatshirt sleeve & just love to explore. This job has been such an amazing learning experience & an amazing opportunity to learn so many different horse personalities & how to handle them. Lol....no 1200+ lb horse can intimidate me....no 200lb person can either

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Nammu, SybilMarie, unaluna

Thanks for this!
lizardlady, Nammu, SybilMarie, unaluna