FooZe
Administrator
Community Support Team

Member Since Apr 2009
5,115 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 15, 2022 at 01:20 AM

I did see the other Dental Insurance thread from 3 or 4 years ago but it doesn't seem to deal with much that I'm concerned about.

I'd been going to the same dentist for many years (with good results) but he recently retired. He didn't accept any insurance, as far as I know, and once stated that dental insurance usually wasn't worth what it cost. As I understood the arrangement (some years ago now):

-- I'd be paying the "plan" a certain amount each month for the coverage.

-- The plan would give me a list of dentists I could go to but my dentist wouldn't be one of them.

-- The dentists on the list would have a deal with the plan where the plan would send them patients in exchange for the dentists charging plan members a little less (something like 80% of their standard fees, I thought).

-- The savings to me would be roughly equal to what I'd be paying the plan in premiums, and my premiums would go to keep the plan in business.

It occurred to me that dental practices that weren't attracting enough patients on their own -- in other words, not necessarily the best dentists in town -- would probably be the ones most interested in getting more business through the plan.

I also remember reading somewhere (I wish I could find it now) that dental insurance would never be a particularly good deal for patients because it was possible to predict pretty accurately what kind of treatment someone was going to need, how much it was likely to cost, and therefore what the premiums would have to be in order for the insurer to come out ahead.

Now my healthcare provider (a large nonprofit) tells me that for an additional $16 a month I can get supplemental vision, hearing, and (ta daa-a-a!) dental coverage. My new dentist (whom I haven't actually met yet) accepts the coverage. I have until the end of this month to decide. I'm thinking of trying it, at least for the rest of this year, but I also wonder how it'll work out for me -- and especially, if it'll be any better than the plan I described above.

I normally get four cleanings and one set of x-rays a year, almost never any fillings. I've had several crowns so far, several extractions, one root canal, and two rounds of gum surgery; and I could very well need more of any of the above eventually. The plan, if I signed up, would allegedly pay for three cleanings, one set of x-rays, and (with varying copays) pretty much every kind of treatment including gum surgery. What I don't understand is what the loopholes and the catch are likely to be, that might make this not such a good deal after all -- or else, what I'm overlooking that might make it a better deal than I expect.
FooZe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
unaluna