underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 24, 2022 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTerroni View Post
I would say that is true (she is legally blind), another thing I didn't find out until the very end but apparently she is Pansexual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliviab View Post
One thing I wanted to clarify about my earlier post...I don't think therapists HAVE to reveal personal details of their lives, other than those that directly impact therapy, but I DO think I have a right not to work with therapists who won't disclose certain things when asked (like religion, political leanings). I have no desire to work with a "blank slate" therapist and appreciate those that will show up more real and human in the relationship. I also appreciate those who are willing to equalize power as much as possible, and self-disclosure (especially when asked, and especially of identities and cultural dimensions) is one important way to do that.

So, I don't think therapists are obliged to share things other than those that directly impact therapy, but neither am I obliged to simply accept that and continue working with them if they won't.
The power is not in knowing facts about someone -in my opinion. Clients have just as much power - you hire them - you pay them -you can quit at any time. I didn't like or care about the ones I hired all that much -they told me more about themselves than I ever cared about. I certainly agree that a client should not hire one who does not work in the way the client wants -or fire that therapist and hire another -they are a dime a dozen and completely replaceable.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
stopdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote