View Single Post
Orwellian Nightmare

Member Since Apr 2022
70 hugs
given
Default May 07, 2022 at 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaVicar? View Post
Couples therapy is very complex and completely different to individual therapy. In couples therapy, the "relationship" is treated as the client and when there's a bias towards one person, which inevitably happens from time to time, an experienced couples therapist will bring it back. It doesn't sound as though she was trained specifically in couples work, what was her qualification?

Losing it like that so quickly, is a rookie error. Sounds like she took against you and wasn't aware of, or working with, her own unconscious feelings. Not your fault at all.

Hi Teavicar
thank you for this perspective.
I have no idea what the experience or qualification of the T was.
All I can say is that we were signed up with (one of the) more prominent British couple's therapy agencies. Confidence in their service is, I think, implied in their reputation and 'brand'.

With hindsight the immediate response of the T, to some degree, validated my instincts re what was happening. She didn't miss a beat. The situation, as they say, escalated rather quickly.

Upon reflection I did wonder whether my experience with individual counselling had too heavily influenced my expectations of couples therapy. Perhaps it did. All the same, the T's reaction was questionable and concerning imo.

Again thank you for this perspective.

If you're going through hell, keep going...
Orwellian Nightmare is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty