Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 10, 2022 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricManatee View Post
Another perspective: none of this should be your job, aside from paying the co-pay. You are forced to set things up for yourself and for her, rather than have her take care of it for you as nearly all other therapists would. And while she absolutely intended what she said as a compliment, instead on some level you feel uncared for and unseen. She is missing the dynamic at play and reinforcing the status quo by saying "thank you!" rather than "you shouldn't have to do that." But it seems like kind of a little thing to feel frustrated with having to do for her, so rather than balk at it or get angry, you just feel generally uneasy and unhappy. (It might also subconsciously link to having to be prematurely self-reliant in childhood too, or at least it would for me.)
WOW EM! I think you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't even thinking about it this way (particularly as some of my schizoaffective thinking is out today and I am a bit paranoid, anxious, and agitated which is making thinking more difficult in general) but yes I do feel generally uneasy and unhappy having to do the things that the T should do. I had to sign up for Zoom Pro so that we could have the full session and she hasn't even done that. You're right. It's a little thing. It shouldn't bother me. But on some level I think it does. It sort of reinforces the idea that maybe she can't help me. That I am not in it with her, or that she is not in it with me. That I have to be self-reliant, which as you linked it to, I had to be self-reliant in childhood when my parents should have been taking care of me, and I don't want to be complimented for it. Of course, being the non-confrontational person that I am, I doubt I can actually bring any of this up in therapy where you know, it would be helpful to talk about. But definitely an eye-opening response to my post and I thank you very much!

Hugs from:
AliceKate, ElectricManatee, LonesomeTonight, unaluna, WarmFuzzySocks

Thanks for this!
ElectricManatee, Quietmind 2, unaluna