Poohbah

Member Since Jan 2020
8 hugs
given
Default May 15, 2022 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusPsyche View Post

Rant incoming.

No. Do not force us into a cashless system. Such systems enable someone to track our every movement and, ultimately, those data could be shared with police, the FBI, marketing companies, who knows what entities. I mean, it's probably not worthwhile to do that for parking data but it is coming and YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

Seriously, though, going completely cashless sounds convenient until something goes wrong and your balances are all suddenly zero. Or Russia hacks Chase Bank. Or there's a solar storm or magnetic storm that destroys things. Or... I'm not hoarding gold bars, but I'm not putting my FREAKING retirement savings into cryptocurrency, either!!! Do I have to change my accounts from Fidelity now? What a hassle.
I don't think banks are super secure, I feel like a lot of Internet banking sites have really bad IT security? Can't even use a strong password for some, though I don't know if it's just my part of the world.

Often, so I feel in my part of the world, the transaction limits on accounts are way too high too, even at the lowest ones.

There's supposed to be "2 factor authentication" true, but I bet people can crack the algorithms? Just like how folks have cracked software licence code algorithms for MS Office before Office went cloud-based. Plus it's easy enough to scare people so they'll give you their "one time password".

There's plenty of places near my current apartment where paying through scanning a QR code with your smartphone is impossible for folks on certain telcos due to bad signal and lack of cell towers, despite how it's not at all rural but high density apartment blocks and shops in a little cluster.

Often enough, cards aren't accepted by these shops too because accepting cards costs them. So I use cash quite a lot for daily living.

The only difference is more automated machines at (in person) cashiers to count the coins and notes in a "hands free" manner due to the pandemic.

A number of Aaian countries, including my own, made contact tracing apps mandatory during this pandemic. Yeah, and I'm not surprised that data is indeed used by the police etc.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight