Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 18, 2022 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumGhost View Post
I think the point of the OP is getting a bit lost. We're talking about people who feel it necessary to get up in our faces and deny that Depression/ Anxiety actually are valid medical issues, and who also feel the need to somehow deny that it exists at all.

I appreciate your metaphor about foaling horses, eskie. But I doubt many people, having witnessed you assisting with this amazing experience/ near miracle, would turn to you and say something on the order of, "You didn't just do that. Foaling horses does not exist. You shouldn't be proud of yourself; you didn't assist that mare or foal at all.". They'd be much more likely to be in awe of you, and to admire your courage and knowledge. They'd also probably leave the scene as slightly changed people, with new and different viewpoints.

The discussion is really about people's possible motives for being mental illness deniers. In my experiences with these folks, I've just peacefully handled the situation; partly out of politics, and partly because I know that they would not be moved, no matter what I had to say. They were, in large part, attempting to diminish me and my genuine health concerns---and that falls under the heading of emotional abuse, in my book. And no matter whether I'm doing well or I'm currently just treading water, I do not welcome or forgive this kind of behaviour.

I have had to give it all a lot of thought, as it's come at me from so many different directions. I am wiser than I was, and now do not simply share with casual acquaintances (even if they are very good friends of my husband) what is going on in my personal life. My mistake was to assume that they would be protective and sympathetic people. Now I know better.

The attacks that came at me from a family member were the most unforgivable, because they were definitely designed and calculated to do harm. Don't even get me started on that. (She shot her patented poisoned darts at me several times on different occasions, probably trying to goad me into losing it; a favourite cruel game of hers.) I had to endure her tortures without complaint, because she had snowed everyone in the family into believing that she was this benevolent, harmless little dolly of an old lady. But she was quite the opposite, in fact. It amounted to me being in a great deal of emotional anguish for several years, as I could not visit my aging father without also having to see this person. It was a difficult time.

I have always been curious about certain forms of mental illness. Perhaps because I was exposed to it from such a young age. I instinctively knew my brother was having some difficulties as a pre-teen and teenager, and I also suspected both of my parents drank to mask some mild and cyclical situational depressions. Friends would discuss personal concerns with me on a regular basis, because they knew I was a good confidant---someone who tried to be sensitive and supportive, and who would keep their secrets. So I was forced to think about these things fairly young, from my early teens, onward.

But I do not believe it is EVERYONE'S job to educate themselves about mental illness. I DO believe it is everyone's job to try to be humane and considerate, especially when someone is sharing potentially painful and personal information with them.

I fear for the future. People do seem to be becoming less and less civil and kind, in general. As you can tell, I've not had much luck in my dealings with other human beings. I hope I am wrong, of course, and try to stay positive about it all. As I'm forever saying, The conversation has only really just started.
Yeah I think some people may have misunderstood the point I was making. I'm not saying that we need to force people to understand mental illnesses and force them to be educated. I just think some people need to stop acting like mental illnesses don't exist and being deliberately rude and condescending to those who have it and deny that any of that exists. Also some people may deny any mental illness exists as a coping mechanism for something they're going through as a form of denial or acting like they're tough and have their life together on the outside to please other people even though they may be falling apart on the inside.

Last edited by rdgrad15; May 18, 2022 at 07:41 AM..
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MuseumGhost

Thanks for this!
MuseumGhost