Revu2
Grand Member
Revu2 tweak

10 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 24, 2022 at 01:40 AM

Hello Steppers, I'm reading Joanne Harris's Chocalat right now, and for diversion search out her writing process. She's written 25 books in a pile of genres, plus opera librettos and plays. And she's in a band! She says:

“I always have several projects on the go, that is normal for me, and they are often quite different which means I can jump from one thing to another,” she says. “I will write in spurts and then let it rest for a few weeks or months and during that time I will work on something else. It also means that when I do need to stop or need to do some research I’m not in the position of not working on something – that can make you quite nervous, that I might not have another idea, so this way, I make sure that never happens.” Yorkshire Post

She write in spurts and lets things rest. Not at all like John Steinbeck who kept at one novel till he finished it. In her advice to other writers she knows one size doesn't fit all: “I think people have such different processes – some writers like to work on an overarching outline, others, like me, work more organically. I always think that if you end up with the book you wanted to write then whatever your approach is, it’s right for you.”

When you have something to get done, whatever approach that gets you through is your right approach. Permission accepted.
Revu2

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote