MobiusPsyche
Magnate

Member Since Feb 2016
15 hugs
given
Default May 25, 2022 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
God no - never going to support therapists again by donating money to their do nothing charity. I was reading that awe means feeling part of something bigger than ones own self and I had never heard such a thing
I'm with ATAT on this one...awe often makes me realize how insignificant I am rather than making me feel connected to something bigger than myself. Or if it is a piece of art or music, I feel how puny my talents are (Although in a different area) compared to those of the artist or composer.

I think it depends on your worldview and perhaps your view of the Universe or God or a Creator. If you believe there is some force creating these beautiful sunsets, amazing landscapes, mountains, beaches, etc., then you might feel connection to that source.

If you believe it's erosion and tectonic plates...well, you can feel connected to the awe of nature in general (but without invoking a spirit such as Mother Nature). That is a very different experience. I strongly suspect you have the second sort of experience, SD.

Only a few pieces of art have ever had me in awe. One was the sculpture somewhere in a museuem in Rome of Daphne turning into a tree. (Apollo and Daphne, Bernini, Galleria Borghese.) For that work and for Mozart, I do feel a connection to the many people who have also viewed (or heard) and been moved by the work.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, Quietmind 2, WarmFuzzySocks