catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 26, 2022 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
I was forced to move on from a prior therapist because she moved to Europe. I had 4 weeks notice. I was a mess for the whole time but liked the first therapist I tried out; I cancelled the other try-out I was supposed to do. But I was so afraid that I wouldn't do well with the new therapist. I also thought it was temporary and that in 4 years when the first therapist came back from Europe I'd go back to her (she returned but not to the therapy center). But it's been 16 years and this therapist is so much better for me. The other one and I spent way too much time talking about cats. With this man I've made progress.

If you don't want a closure session you can decline. And just smile and say "hi" pleasantly if you encounter her. She's not going to be mad at you if she is even a half-good therapist. She has to know she's not providing adequate treatment and she should be referring you on. She knows you've been struggling lately right?

I just can't imagine my therapist missing 50% or more of our sessions. It would be a no-go for me although I do understand not wanting to change a good thing. I guess you have to figure out what "good thing" means to you.
Thank you, Rainbow. Your perspective is very helpful to me. It's interesting, and ultimately wonderful, that you ended up really progressing with your second therapist.

I saw a therapist many years ago, was in therapy with him for 6 years. Neither he nor I ever missed sessions. And I mean never; only for his August 2 week vacation. That was through the Veteran's Admin. One day I went in for my usual session - I still remember - Tuesdays at 11 a.m. - and on almost no notice he had been stationed to an entirely different part of the country. We never had a chance to have any closure, at all. That session was our last. It took a long time before I was able to pick up the pieces. But, I had learned a tremendous lot in that therapy, and I made use of it.

One big problem with my therapy with Mary is that she keeps telling me I've made so much progress. Well, yeah, I've made some. A little bit. But every time she says it I want to say, "How could I make REAL progress when every time I start to work on something you disappear for weeks or months?"

It would be amazing to work with a T and make true progress.

Yes, she certainly knows I've been struggling. She thinks that I'll be okay until she gets back if I see 1 or 2 of her colleagues in the meantime. That's what she tells herself. I honestly think she'll be shocked and upset if I leave.

Thank you for reminding me that I don't have to agree to a closure session. That would be poison to me.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous 42424, BeyondtheRainbow, bizi, Moose72, MuddyBoots, Nammu, wildflowerchild25

Thanks for this!
BeyondtheRainbow, bizi, Moose72, ~Christina