SlumberKitty
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 27, 2022 at 01:33 PM

Hi @tch214

I don't have BPD but I do have Schizoaffective disorder--which also comes with a lot of stigma. I'm not a teacher but I am a professional with an MBA. I work as an accounting manager, a human resource manager, and an office manager. I am very out about my diagnosis and I have to say it is just as hard to be out about your diagnosis as it is to be "in". At least it explains some of my "craziness" for lack of a better word, like when I am paranoid or something. But it definitely gets me in trouble by being out about my diagnosis as well. It is hard for me to have good relationships with my peers because they don't understand the disorder. I try to explain it but everyone hears schizoaffective and thinks "psycho" sigh. I don't work with children so that is definitely a whole other dynamic. I didn't used to be out about my disorder but as I get older and am no longer in my 20's I have started to value myself more and be willing to put my job on the line in order to be "out" about my diagnosis. I realize that not everyone has that luxury though. I hear the pain of having yourself split in two and wanting to be an example for the students and be an advocate but on the other hand wanting to protect yourself. There is no easy answers I'm afraid. I know our situations are not exactly the same, I just thought I would tell you a piece of my story and see if anything resonated. Welcome to the forums by the way. My name is Kit.

Hugs from:
AliceKate