View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default May 28, 2022 at 03:41 PM

My family doctor has been treating me for GERD since I refused all gastroenterology referrals until recently. Last year I did some non-invasive tests to rule out other conditions. I passed them all even the H. Pylori test.

I have been struggling with GERD for 20 years. About two years ago I started getting it everyday. Most of the time it is painless reflux. The painful reflux periods that I get seem to cause my esophagus to spasm which is extremely painful. I have gotten food stuck three times in the last 15 months. This really worries me so I finally accepted a referral to a gastroenterologist.

I doubt I have cancer since I can swallow solids and liquids without a problem during the "good" periods. However I am worried my esophagus is permanently damaged by acid. It likes to go into spasms when the reflux gets severe.

I've modified my diet and eat many smaller meals throughout the day rather than 2 big ones. That has helped a lot. Along with the 8 week PPI treatments that I do.

Unfortunately I can't stop drinking coffee. I only drink one or two a day.

If you have GERD what is it like to see a gastroenterologist? What should I expect? I suspect he will want to do an endoscopy which I am terrified of.

Hugs from:
Discombobulated