Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 28, 2022 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_little_didgee View Post
What is the difference between psychotic depression and schizoaffective disorder?

I discovered that I got diagnosed with both disorders at the age of 20 when I read my medical records in February. I highly doubt these diagnoses were correct, since I was on a lot of medication at the time. My "psychotic" symptoms resolved when I stopped all medications. I believe I had mild delirium caused by the 3 medications I was taking. I suspect this because I stopped all medications and fully recovered that same year. Also at the age of was 26, I was treated for first episode psychosis. That illness was very different than what I experienced previously.

How common it is to get a psychiatric diagnosis based on medication side effects?

In my nonprofessional understanding, schizoaffective disorder requires that you have psychotic symptoms present when a lack of depressive symptoms are present. (What that means in practice, I have no idea).

With psychotic depression, on the other hand, the depression and psychosis are simultaneous.

That's at least what I've gleaned from being diagnosed with both at some point as well.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Desoxyn, Sometimes psychotic