View Single Post
stahrgeyzer
Magnate

Member Since Feb 2018
5,660 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 05, 2022 at 11:39 AM

@Yaowen Thanks again for the wealth of information. I'm still pondering upon all of it. In the travel videos I've watched on YouTube there is something that's made me wonder and that's how happy a lot of people are in countries of poverty. Of course it doesn't mean that people will be happy simply based on how low there expectations are. There are some areas in poor countries where it's extremely dangerous. For example certain cities in south america where there drug wars. I've noticed a lot of people look dead, emotionless, and depressed even though they have no expectations.

My overall level of expectation for myself and others seems to be high. It's extremely high in certain areas. Maybe there's a thing called expectation spectrum? I haven't spent much time thinking about it, but two extremely high expectations I have on myself and the entire world is animal cruelty & slavery. That alone kind of forces me to have an abnormally high dislike for humans. Even in early childhood it would make me so sad when family members would take a ride in a horse carriage. I have horrible memories at knott's berry farm watching my relatives ride away in a carriage, just watching those poor horses struggle to move the heavy carriage. A few more are global deforestation, pollution, and careless acts that contribute to climate change. I even remember as a teenager how I would go through such great lengths to use less water; brushing my teeth, putting plastic bottles in toilet water contain so it uses less water. And then there are other areas of expectations that are based on lack of care. For example all of the train tracks that cross roads. If the government officials who have to power truly cared they would build a bridge or tunnel for the train so thousands of people in cars don't have to sit there stuck waiting a long time, sometimes over 10 minutes. Sure, it's politics and corruption, but humanity has the potential of being so much better. It's countless little things that I see every time I go out or watch a video that bothers me, probably all based on high expectations.

That being said, isn't there two sides? With high expectations comes stress and all of that, but I just learned about Expectancy theory. A quote, "Expectancy Theory basically states that a person behaves the way they do because they are motivated to select that behavior ahead of others because of what they expect the result of that behavior to be." Higher expectations can lead to better work. It's probably more complex than that. It reminds me an very important thing, balance. If my expectations are too high, then I get stress and become a perfectionist, spend too much time doing things. On the other hand, if my expectations are too low, then I tend to do very little. So the million dollar question is, where's the balance, or is there a happy balance?
stahrgeyzer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, Yaowen

Thanks for this!
Yaowen