Have Hope
Wise Elder

Have Hope has no updates.

5 yr Member
3,618 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 10, 2022 at 06:45 AM

I should realistically be on disability, but it's not feasible and it makes me incredibly angry and frustrated, especially with how disability is handled in the USA.

I have a close friend who is Canadian. She suffers from mental health issues and is offered both short and long term disability through her employer, a big insurance company. Throughout her 16 or 17 years of employment with this company, she has been able to take at least 3-4 different leaves of absence while being on disability insurance, as long as I've known her at least. She is soon again taking a long-term leave and will be on long term disability, for however long her doctor sees fit. She earns a smaller amount on the disability insurance, a percentage of her salary, but it's high enough for she and her husband to still get by and afford living in their own condo.

But here in the USA?? I have not worked for an employer to date that offers disability, and to obtain it through the government, it takes years to be approved. Even after you ARE approved, the amount you get monthly is SO meagre, that you are forced to live with parents or family members because it's not enough to live on or get by on your own.

I do not have that luxury. I have no one I could move in with, and I wouldn't want to burden my family in that way, anyways. My husband and I rent a very fair-priced apartment in one of the most expensive US cities. Even if I DID qualify for disability, we would not be able to live, and I couldn't afford my bills or rent.

In the meantime, I have some pretty severe depression and anxiety, I've had multiple traumas over the years, including employment-related trauma, I have had 3 serious hospitalizations, I am on medications, and I suffer greatly yet I work full time and always have. My work suffers as a result, a lot of the time, but I have to just suck it all up and keep showing up at work each and every day.

It's SO unfair. I am really angry at our social services system and at our government for this.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
nonightowl, possum220

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, nonightowl