Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2022 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusPsyche View Post
LT, I have not seen that show but I agree with what ATAT said in that many times these shows can be infantalizing towards people with autism (or any disability, really). I might try to seek out shows or memoirs or the online presence of adults with autism spectrum disorders to understand their experiences better. That might give you some idea of the futures open to your daughter? (I would recommend blogs but they seem out of date. Podcasts, TikTok, Instagram, what do people do now?)

Even parents of adults with autism are likely writing online blogs (or whatever...), if you believe your daughter won't likely be able to live independently in the future. But also... don't sell her short!!! (I can't recall who said that already, sorry!) Stubbornness can be an asset.

Also, I completely understand how copy editing is easier for words that have no meaning to you. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Thanks, MP. I'll try to seek some of those out--I'm in a few Facebook groups for parents, so I'm guessing I could find some specific suggestions there.

And I think with my D, I'll keep advocating for her. She's grown and accomplished so much in the last 11 years--I have no idea what she'll be like at, say, 21. But I also don't want to push *too* hard, to be following my dreams for her rather than what is the right path for her, as an individual.

Also, good to know you understand about the copy editing!
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
MobiusPsyche, Quietmind 2