Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 23, 2022 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Hope View Post
My husband's mother is visiting us, and has been in town since the day my father died. I feel that my mother also needs my company, and I am torn between the two. I did not join my husband and his mom for dinner last night because his mother wasn't feeling well, so my husband brought her dinner to the hotel and ate dinner with her there while I stayed at home.

This morning I announced to my husband that I will be joining my own mother for dinner this eve after work. He seemed surprised as well as dismayed and asked, "so you're not going to come with us to Bernard's?" Bernard's is his mother's favorite local Chinese restaurant. I said no, and almost felt guilty for it. But I should not feel guilty for needing time as well with my own family, even while my husband's mother is visiting. My father just died and I am grieving. I cannot spend every night with my husband's mom, when my own mother needs me too. And, I need my family around me as well right now. My husband should be able to understand this.

These are difficult times for sure.
I think it’s ok to let them have time alone and have your own thing going. No need to spend all your time with his mom especially since your mom needs you now. But why wouldn’t you have both mothers at dinner? Meaning having family dinner together? Or invite both mothers over to your house, then no one feels excluded? Not sure of your family dynamics though. Sometimes such things are a disaster.
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Have Hope