Wise Elder

Member Since Nov 2013
6,422 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 23, 2022 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberKitty View Post
Lately, I feel like my friends don't understand me when I try to explain about problems with accessing care for my mental health. I also don't feel like I have a lot of options for my mental health. It is making me feel depressed. I try to explain to my friends but they don't get it. I also don't feel encouraged or supported by my friends (in real life, not on here). I try to tell them what would be encouraging to hear, and I had to tell one friend that what she told me kind of hurt my feelings but I am remembering that she cares about me and that I think she loves me (she never really says it so I don't know for sure). I feel like I am all alone, cast about with no way to get appropriate help.
It's hard for people to "get it" if they don't have any or have little experience with mental health. And even if they do have experience, they can't read your mind what you need. Even with L: she doesn't know what I need all the time. Sometimes she guesses right, other times she needs me to tell her what will help.

I've been learning and practicing telling others exactly what I need. They have been more than willing to provide me with what helps. Even my family who usually suck at supporting me have gotten better since I've been more direct. Be as specific as you can. Whether it be a certain reassurance, encouragement, acknowledgement, mirroring, etc., or if you just need a hug.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty