Poohbah

Member Since May 2014
1,217 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 24, 2022 at 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I'm sorry you've encountered this misunderstanding with your hubby. But I understand how you feel about being touched, as I feel similarly. My own difficulty with being touched is something that has developed largely over the course of the past 20+ years or so. It's complicated. So I'll spare you the details. (Come to think of it though I even recall my mother once telling me that when she would try to hold me, as an infant, I'd stiffen up like a board and scream.)

I understand the reasons for my own difficulty with being touched (or at least I think I do.) But I don't talk with my wife about it. She wouldn't care to talk about it and wouldn't understand it if I tried to explain it. (We've never developed the ability to have deep discussions. And realistically I probably couldn't offer a coherent explanation anyway.) Quite often though, when I'm having a particularly bad day, one of the things that comes reflexively spilling out of my mouth is: "I just want to be left alone. Please just leave me alone." So, to a large extent, that's mostly what she does now.

I hope you and your husband can find your way back to the way your relationship was prior to your deep discussion. I don't know how old your husband is of course. But I do think as men begin to get a bit older (not as old as I am!) they can sometimes tend to become less interested in, and perhaps less comfortable with, intimacy in general. So perhaps telling your husband about your difficulty with touch gave him an opportunity to avoid something he was feeling uncomfortable with anyway? I don't know. It's just a thought. Best wishes...

We both turn 60 this year.

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. ~ Robin Williams

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? ~ Pink Floyd
Werewoman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote