View Single Post
Aurelius710
Elder

Member Since Oct 2015
1,675 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 25, 2022 at 07:34 PM

Autism was always a diagnoses bandied about with me. Every few years, it would be brought up and dropped. I was tested for Autism, but scored so close to the baseline they couldn't really do much with it. I never really connected with it, but I can see some of the characteristics with me. For instance, when I was younger (and to a certain extent, now) I would hyper fixate on certain topics (like the Civil War or the Titanic). I would learn everything I could about them and once I had my fill, I moved on to the next topic. I gravitated more towards adults because, to me, they had the more interesting conversations. General interests were always out of sync with my peers. Socially, for a long time, I had a script that I would use to talk to people. I would switch out words to keep it from being robotic, but it was always formulaic. If I couldn't anticipate and react to what was being said, I was lost. Acting in school plays helped out a lot there. I learned how to have a normal conversation basically. Social cues that I could bring out to the "real world." I don't know, maybe I am on the spectrum!

You could probably get tested for it if you wanted to. I would ask a doctor or therapist. If nothing else, it would provide clarity!

I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear (Dune)
Aurelius710 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, Werewoman

Thanks for this!
Werewoman