Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,279 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 27, 2022 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Beth* View Post
Okay, so to steer back to the question...what is the incentive to become well enough to eventually leave our therapists if we are attached to them? Might this be an innate flaw in the therapeutic paradigm?
I think it really depends on why one sees a therapist. I saw a therapist on and off typically for specific issues. When the issues were under control, I’d stop needing it. My husband on the other hand doesn’t have a goal to stop therapy because it helps him to work on various symptoms of his disorders. He does therapy on and off but there is no need to end it and no such goal. I think it depends what people see a therapist for.

Having said that the cases above aren’t cases of being attached to therapists, but rather needing them. Situation with attachment is probably a different ball game. Sadly many are attached to therapists because therapists made sure of that by creating dependency. Then there likely is no incentive to ever end it. Client is a victim here imho because if therapy ends, there is a massive trauma and tragedy
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AliceKate, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, AliceKate, Quietmind 2