View Single Post
Lonelyinmyheart
Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2019
1,732 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 30, 2022 at 11:37 AM

I'm so sorry you experienced this East and that your T became defensive when you brought it up. You had every right to address this with her because at the end of the day therapy should be focussed on you - that is what you're paying for and it doesn't matter how much or little you pay, she needs to adhere to ethical guidelines and being constantly interrupted by family matters isn't ethical practice no matter what her situation happens to be.

I find it so frustrating that so many of us in therapy are relationally damaged and struggle with voicing our needs to our T's and feeling like we are worthy and then end up having these very issues reinforced by T's who have not worked through their own emotional issues sufficiently enough

I'm glad it seems that she might have quietly taken on board your concerns and reduced interruptions. However, I think her defensiveness is a very bad sign and the fact she wasn't able to enter into a honest open discussion with you about your feelings doesn't bode well. When it comes to trauma work you need a therapist who can be rock solid and own their own stuff or else she will re-traumatise you and this could take much longer to recover from.

I see you live in the UK as well. Finding therapists here doesn't have to be hard. I've worked with several and most were amazing in different ways. Please don't feel you have to 'put up' with one T who is kind of okay because you might not find someone any better. That kind of thinking is the result of trauma and just isn't true. As someone else said, no therapy is better than bad therapy.

Tread carefully with this T and definitely check out other T's in the process. A therapist who owns their own stuff, is self-aware and honest and empathic towards YOU is worth their weight in solid gold.
Lonelyinmyheart is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, East17, LonesomeTonight, Quietmind 2