View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 03, 2022 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberKitty View Post
Thank you for this thread @The_little_didgee There are things in my hospital records that are wrong. Namely that I was suicidal when I wasn't which led to me being 5150'ed (or kept for 72 hours involuntarily and then switched to voluntary which I didn't want to sign but it was better than being involuntary so I signed it). One of my T's said I could go and correct the hospital records but it's at two hospitals and it seems overwhelming. I don't even know where to start. I don't know what else is wrong that is in them but that is what I know for sure is wrong. I did write a letter of compliant to the hospital but I don't think it did any good. I'm scared of going to the hospital to this day though. I'm sorry you went through these experiences. HUGS Kit
There are a lot of examples of misinterpretation in my records. It appears to be common.

I was accused of being suicidal on May 17th 1996 while at the Civic even though I wasn't. A fainting spell sent me there. That only surfaced after they spoke to a psychiatrist from the General. Questioning me probably contributed. At the time I was in a bad state of delirium that they failed to recognize. Many different staff members noticed and mentioned that they were unable to get a history due to my mental state and that info I provided was questionable.

Reading records is worth it but you have to be prepared. There is a lot written in them that is not communicated to the patient. E.g., apparent malingering. No one ever discussed that with me.

Having a clinician assist you will be very helpful. That person can explain the notes. My psychiatrist helped me with this.

I have noticed that really good clinicians will wrote comprehensive notes, and leave out personal opinion or character attacks. If a note is consistent with an encounter that highly suggests the clinician is somewhat honest and interested. A good clinician will show their notes to a patient when asked.

Reading my records made me realize that not all doctors can be trusted. Ones who lack self-awareness and the inability to reflect are dangerous.

Everyone should read their records.

P.S. Here in Ontario a Form 1 is equivalent to a 5150.

Hugs from:
downandlonely, SlumberKitty