Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 04, 2022 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Beth* View Post
Unfortunately, I went to elementary, middle, and high school at a time when kids weren't diagnosed with learning disabilities, they were just "not trying hard enough" and were passed through if we behaved nicely. While I excelled in English I have never been able to pass a pre-algebra class. Doing math beyond basic third grade level is impossible for me. My inability to do math has been a detriment to my life. For example, I did well in college in all subjects - but could never pass a math class, so never earned a degree. The financial part of my life has always been, and remains, a struggle.

I'm so glad that children nowadays are given the he4lp they need with regard to learning disabilities.
I believe that if you truly struggled with math, nowadays you’d receive help in both school and college. It’s a shame that children were not getting the help they needed and thus could not be as successful as they should have been in the past.

Now (I understand that many disagree) going by my vast experience, many people don’t understand and can’t master math because it wasn’t taught right. Material wasn’t broken down and variety of strategies and tools weren’t used. So many assume they just can’t do math. Then when they come across better instruction, they might discover in adulthood that they actually can do math. Of course I am not talking about true intellectual disability. But anyone with average intelligence can do math at a high school level if they are taught right.
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous32448

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Discombobulated