SlumberKitty is staying stable.

5 yr Member
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 08, 2022 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3 View Post
What made it a poor way of communicating?
Well I have been thinking a lot about your question, @Bill3

I think for me, partially, self harm is about communicating a desire for care and comfort. Self harm has always partially been about comfort for me. Not the act itself so much as the act afterward of bandaging and getting it taken care of and stuff like that. I am communicating to myself that I need/desire care and comfort and I am communicating with anyone who I choose to show my wounds to whether that be a friend, a therapist, or a doctor. The latter two are kind of dangerous because they have the option to hospitalize me!

I think it is somewhat ineffective when I choose that method to communicate to someone else because they misinterpret what I am trying to ask for: care and comfort, and nurturing and instead go into crisis mode or something else equally unhelpful. As for communicating with myself it is less ineffective because it is a very real way for me to come to terms with the fact that I am desiring a need to be taken care of and desiring comfort and care and nurturing and all that good stuff. Some of that I can do.

A better way would be to figure out how to communicate these things to myself and others without having to harm myself to do so. This is what I am working on to figure out. I am reaching out more to people before I self harm (generally) and that is probably a good thing.

I may have to think on it some more.

I welcome anyone's comments on the subject.

Thank you for reading this far!

Hugs from:
Anonymous32448, Bill3

Thanks for this!
Bill3